Author Topic: Riches Random Reviews  (Read 381716 times)

richierich

Re: Riches Random Reviews
« Reply #105 on: March 04, 2009, 10:08:47 PM »
Tremors 2 - Aftershocks

The foul-smelling "Graboids" from the original comedy-science-fiction-thriller return to snack on more people in this long-awaited sequel. The original worm hunter is called out of retirement to save Mexican oil fields from the pesky subterranean critters, but they prove to be a bit tougher this time around.

More fun with the Graboids! But after the excellent opener with Fred Ward and Kevin Bacon, this sequel is majorly disappointing with Earls sidekick unconvincing and a movie bereft of any originality until the worms start evolving (why show them on screen so often though, they lose any mystique). Don't get me wrong, it is still fairly entertaining in a silly way, the cheesy dialogue makes you smile, and the effects reminiscent of a B movie.
Made for video sequel, of mild viewing interest.  :-\

richierich

« Reply #106 on: March 04, 2009, 10:12:21 PM »
You Only Live Twice

A disaster in space pushes humankind towards World War III, and only James Bond can prevent it in this magnificent, pull-out-all-the-stops movie spectacular. Sean Connery returns as Agent 007, who travels to Japan to stop the evil SPECTRE organization and its diabolical leader, Ernst Stavro Blofeld (Donald Pleasance), from instigating global warfare from his massive headquarters in an inactive volcano.

By far the worst of the Bond films so far, and unlikely to be worsened.
The acting is sub-standard, effects in general were poor (despite huge budget), some action scenes were laughably put together, and the whole feel is of a movie squeezed out for commercial reasons only. No wonder Connery walked away at this point, possibly knowing how silly this film was, or perhaps the ridiculous ninjas, or even the straying away from Flemings books into a more scifi focus?
Disappointing Mr Bond
 :-\
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 04:25:14 PM by Rich »

richierich

« Reply #107 on: March 09, 2009, 04:34:03 PM »
Species

A genetically engineered, shape-shifting creature with extraterrestrial intelligence adopts the form of a beautiful woman to mate with humans and unleash a brood of offspring that will destroy mankind. A team of experts must band together to stop her--it--from accomplishing its diabolical mission.

Flimsy storyline and plot, goriness, gratuitious nudity - lovely!  :devil:
A surprisingly renowned cast including Ben Kingsley and Michael Madsen, Species was a pleasant surprise and rises above it's essentially B-movie synopsis. Some good ideas about extraterrestrial contact and genetic engineering, albeit ending on a major bug hunt.
The film will be memorable for 2 major points, both attached to Natasha Henstridge. :drooling:
A great film to watch after the pub or just chilling with a few beers.
 :D

RossRoy

« Reply #108 on: March 09, 2009, 04:46:02 PM »
The film will be memorable for 2 major points, both attached to Natasha Henstridge. :drooling:

I don't know exactly why, but the whole Species series has always been a guilty pleasure for me. Which makes me realise - I have none on DVD! Hmmm I should rectify that!

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 09, 2009, 04:50:56 PM »
I have the first 3 Species movies... and enjoy them. I was surprised to see there is four now. Noticed this while looking through Amazon just the other day.
Pete

richierich

« Reply #110 on: March 09, 2009, 05:01:58 PM »
Bridges of Madison County

Robert Kincaid is a romantic drifter on his way to photograph an historic covered bridge for National Geographic magazine. When he stops at a farmhouse to ask directions, he meets Francesca Johnson, whose passionate nature has long been denied. Their innocent friendship evolves into a tender, torrid and unforgettable four-day affair which they carry in their hearts for the next 24 years.

I suffered throuh the first quarter of an hour of this film feeling rather nauseous, it felt just too cosy and romantic.
By the end of the film I had a lump in the throat, and thought it was as brilliantly told and delicately handled a film as I've seen in some time.
Eastwoods direction is superb, full of precision and deft touches, he truly is masterful at times. The storyline once developed moves along like a smooth flowing stream, it gently rolls over you without ever stopping. Streep is unbelievable, I really have underrated her and this performance was outstanding. The music is so perfect, it literally pulls you inside the film and sweeps you along, with stunning cinematography accompaniment.
The only negative were the 2 irritating modern 'siblings' who told the story, but overlookable.
An intelligent, insightful film turning a difficult moral dilemna into a moving and at times tear provoking production.
HIGHLY recommended  :thumbup:

richierich

« Reply #111 on: March 09, 2009, 05:46:17 PM »
The Doors

Oliver Stone might have considered his film a tribute to the enduring power of the Doors' music, but he seems to have also intended it as a cautionary tale on the perils of both celebrity and substance abuse. Starring Val Kilmer as Jim Morrison, the film focuses on the Lizard King from his days as a UCLA film student in the early 1960s to his death in a Paris hotel in 1971. In the early days of the group's formation, Morrison is at his most benign; he's just a guy hanging out at the beach writing poetry. But as the Doors' fame begins to spread--with Morrison as the focus of attention--his drug consumption and erratic behavior increase exponentially. The rest of the band--Ray Manzarek (Kyle McLachalan), John Densmore (Kevin Dillon), and Robby Krieger (Frank Whaley)--begins to grow tired of his late arrivals, the increasing number of cancellations, and the drunken recording sessions requiring infinite retakes. But no one can help Morrison as he spirals downward into an inferno of drugs, alcohol, public obscenity, and depression. Kilmer gives an excellent performance, including a frighteningly accurate imitation of Morrison's singing. Stone's intimate familiarity with SoCal in the 1960s also provides the film with a high degree of surface verisimilitude.

Despite the title, this is another 60's Stone biopic of lead singer Jim Morrison, excellently played by Val Kilmer. Morrison comes across as a vain drug-addled jeckyll and hyde bufoon, and very rarely does the film highlight his poetic prowess and front man ground-breaking performances. Perhaps this was a slightly unbalanced portrayal, it is difficult to contemplate any human being taking the drug and alcohol abuse on a daily basis as is shown here.
I was amazed by Kilmers voice, it is eerily Morrison and I had to check the credits to ensure it wasn't dubbed by another performer. Meg Ryan was totally miscast as Jims wife, and fails as the weird heroin addict.
Too disjointed, badly directed, and obsesses on matters outside of the main narrative that I was soon bored watching this.
 :yawn:

richierich

« Reply #112 on: March 09, 2009, 05:49:49 PM »
On Her Majesty's Secret Service

When his usual intelligence sources fail, James Bond (Agent 007) enlists the aid of crime boss Draco to track down Ernst Stavro Blofeld, head of the evil SPECTRE organization. The trail leads to the mountains of Switzerland, where Bond goes undercover in Blofeld''s hi-tech headquarters. He encounters a bevy of seductive women, but none more beautiful than Draco''s daughter, Tracy, who wins 007 over with her fervent independence, caustic wit and love of adventure. Bond pledges his eternal devotion to her, but there are more immediate concerns: Blofeld is poised to unleash horrific germ warfare weaponry that will endanger every living thing on earth. Bond''s adventures hurl him through artillery-laden ski pursuits, and a dramatic avalanche drive

Unlike a stereotypical Bond, this was very close to the book, Lazenby was a bit one-dimensional but in a film with a gritty plot, actual spy work, emotions and vulnerability, it worked ok. Perhaps Georges downfall for his future as 007 was simply he isn't hard enough, he lacks a certain edge when it comes to physicality and presence.
Kojak is not Blofeld, I much preferred Donald Pleasance in that role. Diana Rigg a passable Bond girl.
This was back to basics with Bond having to save the world with wit, charm and intelligence, and very few gadgets to assist, which is in line with Flemings original book. The music is one of the better offerings in the whole series, and the stunts and effects do not suffer overly from dating. The dark ending I thought could have been worked better, and as we know we now have the next offering with Connerys return to avenge Blofeld.
 :D

« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 10:17:50 AM by Rich »

richierich

« Reply #113 on: March 10, 2009, 10:38:24 AM »
Transporter 3

The ultimate bag-man is back in Transporter 3! Jason Statham resumes his role as Frank Martin and he's still delivering for criminal masterminds. However, this time he's electronically tagged and his life depends on getting the package there on time!

This is a very disappointing film, it has fallen into the trap of churning out rubbish purely for commercial income and hoping the adrenaline will mask it's deficiencies. There are loads of amazing stunts and a multitude of action fighting scenes, but there is no depth, no storyline, suspense, plot, intrigue or acting. Co-star Natalya Rudakova is perhaps the most annoying person in the world, I had hoped she would be killed a lot sooner.
Totally unrealistic and implausible, give this a wide curve.

richierich

« Reply #114 on: March 10, 2009, 10:51:05 AM »
Mirrors

Attempting to pick up the shattered pieces of his life, a disgraced former cop (Kiefer Sutherland) takes a routine job guarding the charred ruins of a once-famous department store. But the terrifying images he see in the store's ornate mirrors will send him on a pulse-pounding mission to unravel the secrets of the building's past... before they destroy his entire life!

Tense, suspenseful, creepy, frightening, gripping, yes this film scared the crap out of me. Hardened horror genre fans may not be so impressed, but I actually felt disturbed at points, the bath scene and 'rebirth' of schizo girl in particular, and the amazing effects and apt music made this a superb film.
This for me is how a supernatural film should be, so close to reality that it makes you think it could be you, graphic death scenes, and afterwards you actually feel nervous to look in a mirror. A skeptic might say this is rather an overtold storyline and shallow plot (Pete - PLEASE buy this as I want you to review it), but for a horror novice such as me it was great entertainment, and I highly recommend it as a purchase.
A slightly too obvious twist in the tale leaves you with plenty of reflection.
 :thumbup:
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 04:03:32 PM by Rich »

Najemikon

« Reply #115 on: March 10, 2009, 08:18:59 PM »
Transporter 3

The ultimate bag-man is back in Transporter 3! Jason Statham resumes his role as Frank Martin and he's still delivering for criminal masterminds. However, this time he's electronically tagged and his life depends on getting the package there on time!

This is a very disappointing film, it has fallen into the trap of churning out rubbish purely for commercial income and hoping the adrenaline will mask it's deficiencies. There are loads of amazing stunts and a multitude of action fighting scenes, but there is no depth, no storyline, suspense, plot, intrigue or acting. Co-star Natalya Rudakova is perhaps the most annoying person in the world, I had hoped she would be killed a lot sooner.
Totally unrealistic and implausible, give this a wide curve.

hmmm... what do you think of 1 & 2 though?

Looking forward to your review of Mirrors as I didn't like the original and wonder if they've given the similar story a bit of oomph!

richierich

« Reply #116 on: March 12, 2009, 04:04:34 PM »

hmmm... what do you think of 1 & 2 though?

Looking forward to your review of Mirrors as I didn't like the original and wonder if they've given the similar story a bit of oomph!

i loved 1, 2 was ok.
Mirrors review below, please buy it so i can discuss with someone!

richierich

« Reply #117 on: March 12, 2009, 04:16:25 PM »
Flash of Genius

The Kearns were a typical 1960s Detroit family, trying to live their version of the American Dream. Local university professor Bob married teacher Phyllis and, by their mid-30s, had six kids who brought them a hectic but satisfying Midwestern existence. When Bob invents a device that would eventually be used by every car in the world, the Kearns think they have struck gold. But their aspirations are dashed after the auto giants who embraced Bob's creation unceremoniously shunned the man who invented it. Ignored, threatened and then buried in years of litigation, Bob is haunted by what was done to his family and their future. He becomes a man obsessed with justice and the conviction that his life's work--or for that matter, anyone's work--be acknowledged by those who stood to benefit. And while paying the toll for refusing to compromise his dignity, this everyday David will try the unthinkable: to bring Goliath to his knees.

A film regarding an inventors fight to prove he had created the worlds first intermittent windscreen wiper does not sound the most exciting idea, and so it proved. Clearly the film is concerned more with the fight Bob had with Ford to prove his patents were valid, and the effect such a lengthy legal battle had on both himself and his family.
Greg Kinnear comes out of the film with credit, at times he holds together a tired script and ponderous pacing. This is not the worst film you can invest in, but I would best describe it as a good made for TV film.

richierich

« Reply #118 on: March 12, 2009, 04:23:30 PM »
Diamonds are Forever

Superspy James Bond (Sean Connery) gets tangled up in the wild world of international diamond smuggling. But hold on--the mission is not quite so simple as it seems; his chase of the jewel thieves leads him to conspirators with plans for unleashing a nuclear armageddon on an unsuspecting planet. The majority of the action takes place on the gaudy, glittering streets of Las Vegas, as Bond negotiates the grotesque terrain with his customary aplomb and fancy mechanical gadgets. As always, he manages to dally with several sexy bombshells along the way, including the wonderful Lana Wood as Plenty O'Toole. Connery is as suave and entertaining as ever, taking on the menacing Charles Gray, who is trying his hand at playing Bond's archenemy, Blofeld. Look for the car chase down a narrow alley.

One of the weaker Bonds, ending up with such scenes as farcical moon buggy chases. Connery should have stayed in 007 retirement, but big bucks apparently lured him back. The car chases were badly edited, and the special effects seem to have gone backwards from earlier films.
On the positive, I thought the gay assassin team was a riot, the Vegas scenes generally worked ok, and some of the one-liners went down well.
Clumsy effort overall and disappointing
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 10:32:12 AM by Rich »

richierich

« Reply #119 on: March 13, 2009, 10:42:40 AM »
Ace ventura - Pet Detective

Ace Ventura - Pet Detective is the best there is. In fact he's the only one there is. He finds himself on the case of a lifetime when he is asked to find a kidnapped dolphin, the mascot of the Miami Dolphins Football Team.

Jim Carrey - not funny.
He is amusing for about 20 seconds, a bit like someone doing a loud fart. But in the same way, if they keep farting, it becomes tiresome and unpleasant, similar to Jim Carrey.
So Courteney Cox is going to go to bed with a plonker like him in front of a barnyard of animals - yeah right!
Ridiculous story and unless you were an 8 year old boy I am not sure how you could enjoy this?? (star trek impersonations were good though)
 :yawn:
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 10:44:39 AM by Rich »