Author Topic: Weekend Movie Marathon: 7/4 - 7/6  (Read 13126 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Weekend Movie Marathon: 7/4 - 7/6
« on: July 04, 2008, 04:22:01 PM »
Weekend Movie Marathon
7/4 - 7/6
Well... I ended up skipping last weekend because I was so into my Charmed marathon... so I felt the need to make sure I did a movie marathon this weekend. Only problem... I had no idea what so ever what I wanted to watch! So that means there is no theme to this weekend's marathon... I will watch whatever I feel up to watching. So this weekend I ended up watching...

Independence Day
One of the biggest box office hits of all time delivers the ultimate encounter when mysterious and powerful aliens launch an all-out invasion against the human race.

The spectacle begins when massive spaceships appear in Earth's skies. But wonder turns to terror as the ships blast destructive beams of fire down on cities all over the planet.

Now the world's only hope lies with a determined band of survivors, uniting for one last strike against the invaders - before it's the end of mankind.

My Thoughts:
Being the 4th of July, I had to watch this movie. I have watched this movie every year on July 4th since the DVDs was released. I know of a lot of people that didn't care for this movie... but I on the other hand has always enjoyed it. I enjoyed the story.... and loved the effects. The only thing I didn't care for however, is the length of this movie. This is one long movie!  It clocks in just barely over 2 and a half hours. Being a 2-Disc edition... this one has a decent amount of extras.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Weekend Movie Marathon: 7/4 - 7/6
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 07:10:30 PM »

Slayer
Somewhere deep in the South American rain forest, an elite commando team led by lifelong friends Hawk (Casper Van Dien of STARSHIP TROOPERS) and Grieves (Kevin Grevioux of UNDERWORLD) are attacked by a brutal superhuman force: A flesh-ripping, blood-guzzling clan that hunts in packs, strikes in daylight, and won't stay dead. The U.S. military calls them 'a tribal anomaly,' but are they actually a horrific race of pre-Incan vampires? Six months later, Hawk must return to the jungle on a deadly new mission, this time to rescue his tough-but-beautiful scientist ex-wife (Jennifer O'Dell of THE LOST WORLD) and destroy his best friend, who may now be leading a tactical assault squad of immortal bloodsuckers out of their caves and into our world. Ray Park (X-MEN, Darth Maul of THE PHANTOM MENACE), Tony Plana (24), Danny Trejo (THE DEVIL'S REJECTS) and Lynda Carter (WONDER WOMAN) co-star in this SciFi Original from Kevin VanHook, the writer/producer/director of VOODOO MOON and THE FALLEN ONES.

My Thoughts:
This movie I have a bit of mixed feelings on. It is a bit of a low-budget horror... but a decent one. As most know... I love vampire movies. A lot of vampire movies play with the legend a bit... and this one certainly does that. In this case the biggest change they made was that the Vampires can come out in the sunlight without any problems. Which kinda sucks... but I can deal with that.

The movie kinda reminds me of Dog Soldiers... but with vampires instead of werewolves. Only problem is this movie isn't even close to being as good as Dog Soldiers. Not that this is a bad movie... because I really did enjoy it. It just could have been better, IMO. Where Dog Soldiers I found to be an excellent film.

Being a fan of superhero movies/shows.. I really liked the fact that this one has Lynda Carter (Wonder Woman) in it. I have all 3 seasons of Wonder Woman on DVD... not to mention I was very hooked on her when I was a kid. So it was fun for me to see what she looks like now. I was really surprised when I first saw her... for a woman that is close to 60... she still is very attractive.

For those interested... here is the Trailer for Slayer:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0760186/trailers-screenplay-vi3431137561
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 10:38:23 PM »
I love ID4. Marred only by the most absolutely stupid of endings. Such a shame they couldn't find a different way of doing it.

RossRoy

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 10:41:08 PM »
Such a shame they couldn't find a different way of doing it.

maybe they did, but it didn't pass their so called "screenings", with a group "representative" of the average viewer.  ::)

But yeah, I love ID4 too!

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 11:36:11 PM »

Rush Hour
One's all talk...the other's all action!...Jackie Chan ('Rumble in the Bronx', 'First Strike') and Chris Tucker ('Money Talks', 'Friday') mix punches with punchlines in this hilarious action-comedy.

Cultures clash and tempers flare as these two cops from different worlds quickly discover one thing in common: they can’t stand each other. With time running out, they must join forces to catch the criminals -- if they don't kill each other first!

My Thoughts:
All the sudden I found myself in the mood for Jackie Chan's style of martial arts and comedy combination. That mixed with the hilarious Chris Tucker and you know you have yourself a winner. I found myself laughing through out this entire movie. Beyond the comedy and the martial arts... this movie has a really good storyline. Even though I have seen this movie before... I found myself glued to the seat... not being able to take my eyes off all the fun. Definitely a winner here! Another thing that I really enjoyed on this movie... like on most (if not all) of Jackie Chan movies... during the end credits you are treated to a blooper reel. Yup... even more fun and laughs. This DVD is part of the New Line Platinum Series... so you are also treated to a load of extras as well.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 11:37:22 PM »
Such a shame they couldn't find a different way of doing it.

maybe they did, but it didn't pass their so called "screenings", with a group "representative" of the average viewer.  ::)

But yeah, I love ID4 too!

Good to know that I am not the only one that enjoyed this movie here.  I know usually whenever I bring up this movie that thoughts are pretty much split or I am one of the only ones that enjoyed it.  :P
Pete

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2008, 07:42:46 AM »
ID4 is total fun, including the virus and the total overdosed patriotism.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2008, 04:28:50 PM »
LOL... yeah they definitely went overboard on the patriotism... no question about that. But I think it was meant... and done... in a fun way. I also agree that the virus was a bit over the top... and seemed to come from nowhere. But I think they needed a quick out... after such a lengthy movie they seemed to run out of steam.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2008, 04:44:31 PM »

The Hand That Rocks the Cradle
Get ready for edge-of-your-seat excitement with the hit that rocked the nation! In this entertaining thriller, Claire Bartel (Annabella Sciorra - 'The Hard Way', 'Internal Affairs') has the perfect life and family - and exactly what Peyton Flanders (Rebecca De Mornay - 'Risky Business') desires desperately. But once Peyton deceptively becomes the Bartels' live-in housekeeper, how far will she really go when the life she wants belongs to someone else? From absorbing start to heart-stopping finish, this critically acclaimed winner delivers a lively mix of thrills, chills and surprises equaling 100% fun!

My Thoughts:
This is a movie I have not seen in MANY years. I think the last time I saw it was when it was first released back in 1992. I actually bought this from the video store I managed when it went out of business (This and about 200 others!) So I got it super-cheap (like $3.00)... and it has been sitting on my shelf every since... unwatched. And that was a good 5 years ago! Needless to say in that length of time I completely forgot what this movie was like... it was like watching it again for the first time. And I must say I came out of it a bit surprised. This is a damn good thriller! I really enjoyed every minute of it! I liked pretty much everything about it. I felt the entire movie was well done. I especially liked how the did the character of Solomon. They showed that yes, he may be slow... but he is far from stupid. Unfortunately this movie did not get the DVD release that it deserved. The only extra on this release is the Theatrical Trailer. I would really like to see a special edition of this one come out.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2008, 07:58:44 PM »

Enemy Mine
In this visually stunning sci-fi adventure, two warriors engaged in a savage, futuristic war between Earth and the planet Dracon, crash-land on a desolate, fiery planet. At first, the human (Dennis Quaid) and his reptilian, alien opponent (Louis Gossett, Jr.) are intent on destroying each other. But after battling the elements and each other, the two stranded pilots gradually realize that the only way either of them will survive is to overcome their undying hatred.

My Thoughts:
This is another movie I have not seen since it originally came out. Another movie that I did remember enjoying... but did not remember much else about it. My memory served me well as this is a great movie. A movie with a message. There was some slow parts... yes... but they were few and far between. This is much more then a Sci-Fi Adventure... it is a really good story of friendship. Unfortunately there is not much here for extras... but they do give us the Theatrical Trailer.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2008, 03:22:15 PM »

Expecting Mercy
When Madelyne and Kurt find themselves on the run from the law, they think they have found the perfect hiding spot in the small town of Eden, Wisconsin. Checking into a room at the Eden Inn, they are finally safe. But that couldn't be further from the truth.

Unbeknownst to them, the owner of the Inn, Edward Slayter, has an elaborate system of cameras set up around the house and is watching the couple's every move. Now, the place the two thought was safe has become the most dangerous trap.

My Thoughts:
This movie is fair at best. A wanna-be thriller that is more like a Thriller-Lite. They even go as far as using suspenseful background music to add tension to sense that contained no tension what so ever. The first half of the movie I was more bored then anything... forcing myself to stick with it in hopes it would get better... and it did get better. It went from boring to mildly entertaining. Finally the movie's ending was something that is unbelievable that someone could do in the real world... though seemed to fit these characters perfectly. Extra wise all you get is the trailer for this movie and two others.

I do feel lucky in the fact that I got this movie extremely cheap... as I got it bundled with another movie... out of the Walmart Bargain Bin. So all I put towards it is $2 and change. I would not feel comfortable recommending this one to anyone.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2008, 05:29:18 PM »

Demon Seed
Susan Harris is alone in the house when, suddenly, doors lock, windows slam shut and the phone stops working. Susan is trapped by an intruder...but this is no ordinary thug. Instead, the intruder is a computer named Proteus, an artificial brain that has learned to reason. And to terrorize.

In "one of her finest, most vulnerable performances" (Danny Peary, 'Guide for the Film Fanatic'), Julie Christie plays Susan in this taut techno-thriller based on the Dean Koontz novel. Packed with suspense, surprise and special effects, 'Demon Seed' follows Susan's desperate attempts to outmaneuver and outthink her captor. Then Susan learns what Proteus wants: its own child, conceived in her womb and destined for domination.

My Thoughts:
Once again... not impressed. I loss interest in this movie pretty early on. Before I knew it I found myself on the computer with the movie running in the background. I found a couple odd spots interesting... but for the most part I just found it to be boring. I have read on many forums that this is a very popular movie. But I am afraid I just don't see it. At least I got this one cheap (Under $5) so I can't complain too much.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2008, 08:53:30 PM »

K-19: The Widowmaker
Harrison Ford delivers one of his most powerful performances in this riveting action-drama inspired by a true story.

At the height of the 1960s Cold War, Russia launches its flagship nuclear submarine, the K-19. In command is iron-willed Captain Alexei Vostrikov (Ford). Also aboard is the popular executive officer Mikhail Polenin (Liam Neeson), who clashes with Vostrikov but shares his unwavering patriotism. As the K-19 heads toward American waters, a shocking discovery is made: the vessel's nuclear reactor system is leaking, imperiling the men and the sub's missiles. With time running out, the fearless Vostrikov and his crew join together as brave countrymen who must decide the true meaning of duty, honor and sacrifice.

My Thoughts:
OK... I feel better now. This is more like it. I found this one to be a very good... very powerful movie. It was well made... the acting was great... and the story was riveting. I'll be honest... when I first went into this one I had my doubts that I would like it. But in no time at all I was glued to my seat... and before I knew it this over 2 hour movie was over.

I feel extra lucky on this one... as this is one of the many DVDs that I got about 5 years ago when the video store I managed went out of business. So I got this one for only something like $3 to $5. I am just sorry I let it sit on my shelf for a good 5 years before giving this movie a chance! K-19: The Widowmaker is one movie I feel more then comfortable highly recommending.
Pete

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2011, 06:35:03 AM »

Demon Seed
Susan Harris is alone in the house when, suddenly, doors lock, windows slam shut and the phone stops working. Susan is trapped by an intruder...but this is no ordinary thug. Instead, the intruder is a computer named Proteus, an artificial brain that has learned to reason. And to terrorize.

In "one of her finest, most vulnerable performances" (Danny Peary, 'Guide for the Film Fanatic'), Julie Christie plays Susan in this taut techno-thriller based on the Dean Koontz novel. Packed with suspense, surprise and special effects, 'Demon Seed' follows Susan's desperate attempts to outmaneuver and outthink her captor. Then Susan learns what Proteus wants: its own child, conceived in her womb and destined for domination.

My Thoughts:
Once again... not impressed. I loss interest in this movie pretty early on. Before I knew it I found myself on the computer with the movie running in the background. I found a couple odd spots interesting... but for the most part I just found it to be boring. I have read on many forums that this is a very popular movie. But I am afraid I just don't see it. At least I got this one cheap (Under $5) so I can't complain too much.

I just watched this movie, pretty decent. It's a very fascinating concept, but it does get a bit trippy at times.